Saturday, July 18, 2009

what's up?!

Late in 2008, I started on a recycling kick. Not for Mother Nature. But for the sheer purpose of getting some extra cash. So I don't sound like a complete miserly jerk, I did put the money I earned toward dinners I cooked or bought for some of the girls at youth group. Anyway. Let me tell you it has been a complete cultural experience. I have interacted with people I never would talk to and or care to hang out with. When I first dropped off my recyclables, I had people yelling at me in Spanish, Cantonese, and Vietnamese instructing me how to sort my plastic and glass bottles. Homeless men would give me tips on where there were other centers that gave more money per pound. It might sound ridiculous, but I like the sense of community I feel when I am there.

Anyway, all this to say, I usually get $8, maybe $10. But today I hit the jackpot! Today I turned in this:


And I got $28.75. WHAT'S UP, ROSEMEAD?

3 comments:

  1. You hit the mother lode, Higaki!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blogging again!

    Okay, so Greg and I have been saving up our bottles to go collect our CRV at the recycling center - BUT - the first time we went to the center the guy was on his lunch break, and the second time we went it was closed. Hopefully the third time's the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I wish our apartment could've given you our bottles. We had at least a dozen large garbage bags full of bottles at the end of the semester. Jon Marc was supposed to redeem them, but he said the drive to the closest recycling center and the effort it would take to separate everything wouldn't have been worth it. So he gave everything to his new landlord instead.

    ReplyDelete