Saturday, December 12, 2009

recyclables for good update

Ok, so it's taken me awhile, but I finally would like to report that we have raised $60.20 total for International Justice Mission (IJM) and Seattle Urban Academy (SUA)! Thanks to Auntie Joy, Charissa, Eric L., Grandma, Gus, the Hung family, Jen J. K., Sam Y., Shin, and Tinz for all of your goods. If you are impressed by the fact that I earned $60.20 in cans and bottles alone, you shouldn't be. I was only able to raise that much because my college friend, Tracy T. generously offered to match whatever I raised in September. SO THANK YOU, TRACY. YOU ROCK. Here is a picture of Tracy and me in college. Left to right: Jeannie, Me, Tracy, Krisi. Man, do we look like babies:


Now, here is a quick snap shot of each organization and why I support them.

IJM
A human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local governments to ensure victim rescue, to prosecute perpetrators and to strengthen the community and civic factors that promote functioning public justice systems.

IJM's justice professionals work in their communities in 12 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America to secure tangible and sustainable protection of national laws through local court systems.

Why I support them: I believe it is central to God's heart to protect those that are oppressed and victims of slavery. I like how IJM works with the local governments and "continues to build networks with aftercare and other social service and government providers to ensure long-term care of clients." They aren't just about rescuing people, but seeing their lives permanently transformed.

If you feel led to contribute to this org, click here.

SUA
SUA is a non-profit, alternative high school school located in Seattle, Washington that provides a safe haven for struggling students, where they can learn community values and be nurtured in the academic, spiritual, and social arenas of their lives. Through vital partnerships with community service organizations, SUA has helped its students attain a high graduation success rate. From 2001-2009, the graduation rate for SUA seniors was 94% and 90% of SUA graduating seniors went on to a 2-year or 4-year college.

Why I support them: First of all, because my aunt has been the executive director and principal for the past 13 years. This is a picture of her and her grandson.

Moreover, I am inspired by her very clear calling to reach out to at-risk youth who have lost hope for themselves. I love how she finds deep joy through experiencing "Christ's grace and power to call forth life in all of us" and through her commitment to "building up academic excellence and sending young people out to pursue higher education with vision and purpose". I also find it awesome that 66% of her staff have advanced degrees and have chosen to serve students through this non-profit program rather than through public or private education.

Here's a video that highlight some of the teachers and students from the program:



And, if you are interested in supporting SUA, click here.

I lagged big time on collecting recyclables from everyone for November. I'll probably collect through December and split the money for each month. November is for Kiva, and December is for Blood:Water Mission. If anyone wants to match what I get by the end of this year, let me know!!

5 comments:

  1. I will give you a facebook "Like" for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY. Thanks, Tracy, and go, Seattle Urban!!

    Charissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bag of bottles going but I think I've been drinking less water this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Auntie Sharon shared your blog with me and I love it. Cara loves it too!

    Auntie Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa. Are you still collecting recyclables? Miss your blogging voice!

    ReplyDelete