Wednesday, August 4, 2010

yogurt marinated pork chops w/ nectarine salsa

Hi, from San Mateo!

Every day I think, "This is the day I will post about my move to the Bay Area." And then...life goes on. Like it usually does. So while I procrastinate about this post that might never (ever) come, I will post about PORK CHOPS. I live at home (yes, I know its pathetic), and one of my duties is to cook once a week. Little did my family know they would become guinea pigs for new recipes from the interweb. There have been some near disasters, but tonight was a winner. I combined 2 recipes together (this one and this one) to create yogurt marinated pork chops with nectarine salsa.


Yogurt at first glance did not sound very appetizing as part of a marinade, but it made an excellent tenderizer and I couldn't even taste it after it was cooked. Here is what I did and what you can do too!

Ingredients

4 thick-cut bone-in pork loin chops (I used "blade cut")
1 head roasted garlic (cut the top of head off, put in foil with a little olive oil and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 min)
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper

Salsa
2 nectarines, pitted and diced
1 ripe tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt to taste

1. Place the chops in a shallow dish in one layer. In a small bowl, mash the roasted garlic into a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Pour over the chops and rub into both sides. Let stand at least 30 minutes, turning a couple times to ensure an even marinade.

2. Chop up the salsa ingredients and refrigerate 30 minutes to blend flavors.

3. Grill pork chops over medium heat until done, about 10 minutes per side until lightly browned and juices run clear.

4. Serve pork chops topped with generous spoonfuls of salsa!

I highly suggest marinating the pork chops overnight. It made the meat super tender, and the next day I only had to make the salsa and grill the pork chops. And, it was delightful with a side of whole wheat cous cous and a bed of arugula with a splash of lemon, olive oil, coarse salt and cracked pepper. It also helped that my dad grilled the meat on the bbq, but I'm sure it would be fine grilled in a pan.

ENJOY.

P.S. I have an unhealthy crush on KevJumba. He's 20. That's disgusting.

4 comments:

  1. ahh, very nice, and good use of seasonal ingredients too! I had no idea he's only 20. He looks at least as old as the Wong Fu guys and maybe older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i recognize that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you have a hydrangea now in the corner! Love it.

    This sounds yummy. G cooked pork chops tonight...we've never tried marinating them overnight, though! Mentally filing this one away.

    ReplyDelete